To Schedule an Inspection
Inspections are performed during normal business hours, Tuesday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The department also reviews plans prior to issuing permits, and performs general field inspections of commercial and residential construction.
Please do not call in inspection requests until all work is completely done and ready for final inspection. Failed inspections may accrue a $55 re-inspection fee. When calling to set up an appointment, customer contact information must be supplied with your request.
Please note: Same-day or next-day inspections may not be available, but we will complete all inspections as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Types of Inspections
Types of inspections performed include:
Inspections Related to Gas Companies
If your gas company tells you that a city inspection must be done before they will turn your gas on, you will need a licensed plumber to perform a pressure test on the piping and verify that the gas system and its components are up to code. The plumber will request the inspection after he/she has been issued a permit and completed the work.
Inspections Related to New Homes
Inspections for new home builds typically include:
- Building Final: House is now complete and ready for occupancy; yard grading is complete and the water meter has been set. All plans and specifications have been met and all GFI's are operating properly. *Please request a water meter prior to calling for the final inspection at (817) 985-2120.
- Drive Approach and Sidewalk: After framing and prior to pour
- Drywall: Tub enclosures need to be in place
- Foundation: Ready to pour with property pins located by markers to indicate the boundaries of the lot
- Framing: After the roof, all framing, fire blocking and bracing are in place, and all pipes, chimneys, and vents are complete and the rough electrical, plumbing, and heating wires, pipes, and ducts are complete
- Insulation: Must be completed prior to drywall
- Pier Holes: If they are required by plans
- Plumbing Rough: Required prior to foundation inspection
- Setback: Must meet requirements, or you can have a form surveyor instead
- Gas and Electric: Permanent power will not be submitted until after final inspection
- Temporary Pole: For electrical service required during construction
Please note: there may be a 7 to 10 day window for the following types of inspections:
- Air conditioning change-outs
- Other permits for which no further work is required by the contractor and work is not delayed by the need for an inspection
- Water heater replacements