A thirty (30) day extension may be granted to a defendant upon request. The extension must be requested on or before the preset appearance date on the citation.
- If the citation is not paid within 30 days, a time payment fee (see explanation below) will be added to each violation that is not paid in full on the 31st day.
- You may request an extension by either appearing in person at the Municipal Court Clerk's window, by mail or by fax. If requesting by mail or fax, complete the Request For Extension (PDF).
Payment Plans (Time Payment Plans)
You may be eligible for a time payment plan, in which you can make weekly, bi-weekly or monthly payments on your citation.
- You must make your request in person at the Municipal Court Clerk's Office. It may not be done by mail or fax.
- You will be required to present a valid driver license or state-issued ID, and fill out a Financial Statement (PDF). If you qualify for a time payment plan, the Municipal Court Clerk will inform you of your required payment amount and terms (e.g., weekly, biweekly, or monthly payments).
- If you need more than thirty (30) days to pay your citation, the court charges a $25 time payment fee (per violation) that is required by the state.
- If you would like to request a time payment plan, complete the Financial Statement (PDF) prior to appearing at the window. Note: It must be signed in the presence of a municipal court clerk or notary.
- If you fail to keep this payment plan, a capias pro fine warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Time Payment Fee: Section 51.921(a)(1), and (2) of the Government Code states that "in addition to other fees authorized or required by law, the clerk of each district court, statutory court, county court, justice court, and municipal court shall collect a fee of $25 from a person who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor and pays any part of a fine, court costs, or restitution on or after the 31st day after the date on which a judgment is entered assessing the fine, court costs, or restitution." This fee will be added in advance if the defendant chooses a payment plan, or if on or after the 31st day, the defendant fails to make full payment on their fine by the 30th day.