- A permit is required; and the fee (PDF) is $10.00
Download an application (PDF) or stop by the permits window in City Hall
- No more than three (3) garage sales per residential premises per calendar year
- The duration of a garage sale may not exceed three (3) consecutive days
- One (1) garage sale permit per calendar year may be deferred to the following weekend of the scheduled garage sale at the discretion of the applicant
(e.g., if it rains on the weekend you plan your sale, you may delay the sale to the following weekend ONCE per calendar year)
- No more than six (6) signs may be displayed to advertise a garage sale (please see additional sign regulations below)
Garage sale sign rules and restrictions:
- A maximum of six (6) signs may be used to advertise a garage sale.
- Signs shall be no greater than two (2) square feet in area.
- The top of the sign shall be no higher than thirty (30) inches above the surrounding ground.
- Be careful if using metal or wooden stakes to minimize risk to buried utilities.
- Signs shall be placed no closer than six (6) feet from any road surface or curb, nor closer than twenty (20) feet of any intersection.
- Signs shall have the garage sale permit number clearly and legibly marked on them with numbers at least one (1) inch high.
- Signs shall not be placed on any utility pole, traffic sign pole, or other structure within the right-of-way.
- Signs shall not be placed within the Business 287 overlay district. The Business 287 overlay district includes all property within the City which is located within three hundred (300) feet of Business Highway 287 (Kennedale Parkway).
- Any person placing a sign on private property must first obtain permission from the owner and/or occupant.
- All signs shall be removed by the garage sale applicant no later than 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day following the completion of the garage sale.
Garage sale signs found not to be in compliance with the rules, regulations, and restrictions listed here, in any adopted Ordinance, in City Code, or in Section 11.20 of the UDC shall be subject to removal and fines.