If I’ve received a citation, what are my options?

There are six options in disposing of your citation:

  • You have the right to plea not guilty. If you feel like you should not have been charged with the offense and would like to enter a plea of not guilty and request a court date, you may do so either in person or in writing. For more information please visit the Trial Processes page
  • You may enter a plea of guilty or no contest and pay the fine. This may be done either in writing or in person. In choosing this option, there will be a final judgment of guilt entered against you and a conviction notice will be sent to the Department of Public Safety. Therefore, the charge will appear on your driving record. Per the passage of HB 2048, the Driver Responsibility Program (DRP) will be repealed, and effective September 1, 2019, all DRP surcharge suspensions will end.  After September 1, 2019, all surcharge assessments will be waived and no future surcharges will be assessed after. You will still be responsible for any other suspensions, fines or fees on your driving record. Any person who receives surcharge until the program is repealed is still responsible for paying the surcharge or surcharge installment payments until September 1, 2019.  Any person who receives a new DRP-related surcharge before September 1, 2019, and fails to pay in the allotted time will be suspended and subject to surcharges.  In anticipation of the repeal of the program, all affected customers will receive a letter in August that explains that they are in 1 of 5 categories. This repeal only applies to surcharges and you are still responsible for all other obligations including non-surcharge related suspensions, fines or fees. For more information regarding this state program, please visit the Texas Surcharge Program webpage. To check the status of your driving privilege or pay reinstatement fees, visit texas.gov/driver. You will need your DL/ID number, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number. Please be aware driver records update on a daily basis. The information on this site reflects the status of your driver record as of today. Any additional convictions reported by a court after today could cause additional enforcement actions or fees on your record. We recommend you verify your status on September 1, 2019. 
  • You may enter a plea of no contest or guilty and request deferred disposition to keep this charge from appearing on your driving record. This request may be presented in person or in writing. Please visit the Deferred Disposition website to see if you are eligible.
  • You may enter a plea of no contest or guilty and request to complete a driver safety course to keep this charge off of your record. This request may be presented in person or in writing. Please visit the Driver Safety Course website to see if you are eligible and what is required.
  • You may request a first appearance before the judge. This is not to determine your innocence. The judge has the ability to allow deferred payment with a payment plan, community service, or other variations to the above options.
  • You may hire an attorney. By doing so, your attorney will become the contact for all court settings and notifications. Therefore, you will need to stay in contact with your attorney to ensure you receive all the necessary information regarding your case. Window clerks are not attorneys and will not give legal advice.
  • The law is very specific in what we may and may not allow for those who hold a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Unfortunately, we are unable to offer any type of deferred disposition or the option to complete a driver safety course. This applies even if you were driving your personal vehicle.

Show All Answers

1. What are my rights in Municipal Court?
2. If I’ve received a citation, what are my options?
3. How do I keep this violation from appearing on my driving record?
4. How long do I have to take care of my citation?
5. There is an appearance date on my citation. Does this mean I am scheduled to see the judge?
6. What if I was given a citation by a DPS officer or the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office?
7. What is acceptable attire for a court appearance?
8. Who may represent me in court?
9. What if I cannot make my scheduled court date?
10. What is my duty as a juror?
11. How was I selected as a juror?
12. Am I eligible to be a juror?
13. Who can be excused from jury service?
14. What is the difference between criminal and civil cases?
15. Will I be paid for being a juror?
16. Must my employer pay me while I am on jury duty?
17. Are there rules about jury conduct?